Saturday, July 11, 2009

Casual Dining in Coronado, CA: Bistro d' Asia, Il Fornaio & Brigantine

I wanted to share a few more of our favorite hangs in Coronado - places we frequent during the week when we don't feel like cooking!

I need my sushi fix at least once a week, and I know of four sushi bars on the island. However, I've only been to two: Peohe's, at the Ferry Landing, and Bistro d' Asia, in the village.

Peohe's is known for its Surf & Turf roll, a classic lobster California roll wrapped in filet mignon. In the dining room, Peohe's Halibut Mai'a is the signature dish - fresh Alaskan Halibut filet sautéed with macadamia nuts, bananas and Frangelico. Peohe's shares the spectacular view of the San Diego skyline with Il Fornaio, located right next door.

We visit Eric at Bistro d' Asia when I've craving his Calamari Salad, featuring fried calamari, octopus, tuna, albacore, cucumber, grapes, mango, seaweed salad, daikon radish sprouts, burdock root, and special ponzu sauce. I could eat this every day!

Sometimes, we are lucky enough to come in on a night when Eric has Tasmanian salmon. It truly melts in your mouth and is right up there at the top of my favorites, next to hamachi.

While we were there last week, Eric plated this Assorted Sashimi platter, called the Chef's Choice (22 pieces)

Here's another beautiful plating of Mango Sashimi, with salmon, spicy crab (instead of rice), mango, jalapeno, and ponzu. I need to remember to try this one next time.
If you're not in the mood for sushi, stop by the Brigantine, sit at the bar, chat with Kevin (who's been working there 28 years!), and order the famous fish tacos. If you want to be healthier, order one fish taco and the spinach salad.
Lately, John has been ordering the calamari tacos with jalapeno cream sauce...

Last month, I published a blog post about Il Fornaio, here, where I talked about the Il's Festa Regionale menus. I failed to mention the pizzas, which are great for lunch or dinner, eat in or take out. We recently devoured a Pizza Fradiavola - mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, Italian sausage, mushrooms, bell peppers, red onions, and spicy pepperoncino oil.
When we visit Johnny at the bar, my John is able to make a meal out of the fresh bread from the bakery, served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Speaking of Johnny, here he is...always smiling, personable and attentive - truly one of the best bartenders in Coronado.
Well, those are a few more of our casual dining recommendations in Coronado.
I need to get to work on my Sailing the South Seas dish for tomorrow's Concert in the Park - Macadamia Crusted Halibut, served with Coconut Sticky Rice, Spicy Mango Salsa, Ponzu Sauce, Garlic Chips, and Grilled Asparagus.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No comments: