Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tomato Jam

John has a potted Roma tomato plant in the back yard that yielded a few pounds of tomatoes recently. For the second part of my September Daring Cooks Challenge, I prepared a Tomato Jam (see my Pluot and Zinfandel Jam post, here). I've never tasted Tomato Jam before, but I will most definitely make it again. We enjoyed it on toasted baguettes with goat cheese. The sweetness is balanced by the spices and hint of Serrano chile. The port provides a nice depth.


Tomato Jam
(Makes about 2 cups)

2 pounds ripe Roma tomatoes (cored and coarsely chopped)
1 ½ cups sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon fresh grated or minced ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 Serrano chile, stemmed, seeded and minced
¼ cup Ruby Port

1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.

2. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep up to two weeks refrigerated. Properly processed/canned jam will last for one year in a cool, dark place. Refrigerate after opening.


2 comments:

bunkycooks said...

Can-o-rama! That's all I can say. This looks very good. I have tomatoes ripening on the back deck, so I might have to try this recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

What kind of cheese with that toast?!