Thursday, August 4, 2011

Coronado Concerts in the Park - Shake, Rattle & Roll

John chose Shake, Rattle & Roll as the culinary theme for this past Sunday's Concert in the Park, with Rockola, one of the top bands of the summer season. Our tables and blankets were at the park by 11:00 a.m. for the 6:00 concert, but we didn't realize it would be almost impossible to maneuver our wagon through the crowd to get to our spot when we showed up at 4:00! Rockola performs every year, but we've also been fortunate to have several new bands join the line up this summer.


Because it was so crowded at the park, and the sun was out in full force, our food photography suffered. I did take quite a few people shots, and hope to follow up with separate posts on John's Stromboli and my Truffles and Jellies.  Also, when we have so many friends show up for our group, it's hard to keep track of who brought what. But, here's what I recall...

Vodka Martinis
Jim Shook and Rattled these in a Martini Shaker
*
Stromboli
John rolled Italian Meats and Mozzarella into these Pizza Rolls,
adapting Emeril's recipe, here
*
Lamb Sausage in Puff Pastry
Kai rolled Lamb Sausage in Puff Pastry
Barefoot Contessa has a recipe here
*
Black Forest Ham and Smoked Gouda
Panini Sandwiches
Jack and Sandra adapted Wolfgang Puck's recipe, here
and used Ciabatta Rolls
*
Egg Roll Soup
Jim adapted this recipe, here
*
Brussels Sprouts Rolled with Crispy Pancetta
and Balsamic Glaze
Courtesy of Chef Alec
Here's a recipe from Fine Cooking
*
Peanut Butter Truffles
Concord Grape Jellies
I attempted these from Thomas Keller's
The French Laundry
*
Chocolate Earthquake Cookies
Carmen's creative interpretation of the theme,
with these cookies
*
Coconutty Rattles
Nina packaged up darling tins of these vegan candies
from Live Raw

John's Assorted Stromboli

Emeril's Pizza Dough recipe is a keeper!

Sausage and Pepperoni Stromboli


I was last-minute in deciding to attempt Thomas Keller's Peanut Butter Truffles and Concord Grape Jellies.  I was extremely concerned about the Jellies, after reading about Carol's failed attempts on her wonderful and hilarious blog, Thomas Keller at Home.  I could not find apple pectin, and was convinced my jellies would fail to jell. Much to my surprise, Pomona's Universal Pectin did the trick.

Cutting the Jellies

Rolling the Jellies in sugar, and shaking off excess

Concord Grape Jellies

However, I had problems with the truffles.  These babies won't be rolling anywhere! After whizzing he peanut butter, sugar, milk chocolate and butter in the food processor for 3 minutes, the truffle filling needs to be refrigerated several hours (I only had a few hours), and preferably over night. As I tried to roll the balls, before dunking them in the melted bittersweet chocolate, they pretty much disintegrated in my hot hands. Lesson learned: Don't try to make these last minute. I plan on a re-do, and will post later on my perfected truffles.

Thomas Keller's Peanut Butter Truffles and Concord Grape Jellies

Carmen's Chocolate Earthquake Cookies

Nina's Vegan Coconutty Rattles

Olivia, with Jim's Egg Roll Soup

Spider-Kai & Hill

Kellee, Sparks & Sparks' New Friend

Spider-Max & Spider-Mom

Too many martinis, Spider-Nina?

Kellee & Jack

Hunter, in the zone

Rockola Groupie

Alec & Sonoma

Friends Forever

Always nice to capture a classic photo of a Federal Judge...
Your Honor, dancing "The Swim"

Me and Steve, Mr. eCoronado

Rockola

Isn't she cute!?
***

For Sunday, I've chosen Childhood Favorites as our culinary theme - Childhood Favorites, updated, and/or with an adult spin. Spaghetti was probably my most favorite, but there's something else I think I'm going to try. Stay tuned, and enjoy your weekend.


2 comments:

José Miguel. said...

Can I have some of those Stromboli please...but ill switch to Parmesan...=D!

test it comm said...

Great looking Stromboli!